How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27615
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughters friend got a MIP at Winchester on the ...

Resolved Question:

My daughters friend got a MIP at Winchester on the sand and was not driving. She went to court last week and they suspended her license for 1 year and reduced her fine to $150.00 from $300.00. Why is her license suspended when she wasn''t driving or near a vehicle?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 9 years ago.

ORS 471.430 Minor in possession of alcohol

When minors are in possession of alcohol, they are either holding the alcohol, have consumed the alcohol, or attempted to purchase. They will be referred to juvenile court or cited into circuit court. The minor will be fined, driving privileges will be suspended for up to one year, and/or the minor will have to wait up to one year to apply for a driver license. Juveniles may be sent to an alcohol education course. (Class B Violation)

The way the statute is set up, it does not require a minor to be driving a vehicle at the time they are caught. One of the consequences of the charge, is a suspension of the license. This is just the way the law is set up.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Can she qualify for a hardship license to drive back and forth to work and school since she pays all her own bills?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 9 years ago.

Yes, she can qualify, depending on her circumstances. What I suggest, is that she goes to her local DMV and asks what is required of her, to receive this. Sometimes, the DMV has certain requirements, before issuing hardship licenses.

LegalKnowledge and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you