How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask J D Haas Your Own Question
J D Haas
J D Haas, Lawyer (JD)
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 2998
Experience:  21 years as a serious injury/wrongful death trial lawyer; nationally board certified; 43 jury trials
Type Your Legal Question Here...
J D Haas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 17 year old daughter, was stopped for speeding, she was ...

Resolved Question:

My 17 year old daughter, was stopped for speeding, she was also cited for having 3 under age passengers in the car. I need to know what I can expect to happen when she goes before the judge. Should I get her a lawyer?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  J D Haas replied 9 years ago.
This is a judgment call. If she was not driving 20-30 mph above the limit, then the fine would be the penalty. After research, I could not find a penalty for the graduated drivers license violation. Some similar charges have fines in the $20-100 range.

The decision to get a lawyer is one that you need to make with 2 considerations: 1) the effect on her driver's license, and 2) the insurance effect. The speed and the underage passenger may not have a long-term effect on her license in the long term. It may have a strong effect on your and her insurance premiums. In CA you can sometimes reduce or remove the charges by attending driving classes. You should contact your insurance agent and ask him or her the effect on your insurance rates given a conviction on these charges. If it is drastic, then you should consider legal help to fight the ticket. Best of luck in your decision.

I hope that I have helped you, answered all of your questions,
and that I have provided you with useful information.
Please ask more questions if I have not answered all of your

In the future, if you would like to specifically ask me a question,
you can ask for me in the body of the question.

Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice,
it is merely information. The only way that I am legally
responsible for your legal rights is if you have signed
a written retainer agreement with my law firm.
J D Haas and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you