How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 28046
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

trial summons

This answer was rated:

I just recieved a summons for a trial that starts in a week. I'm currently 2000 miles away. I'm self employed and in my busy season. To leave would cost me thousands of dollars in income and thousands of dollars more in travel in the RV. What can I do?

You need to contact the person who sent you the summons and explain the situation. If you are being called as a witness, then the party sending you the summons, could reimburse you for expenses, at the very least. If you just disregard the summons, the Judge could hold you in contempt of court. There should be a phone number listed on the summons. Call the issuer and see what can be done. Based on the circumstances and how involved you would be at the trial, you may be excused.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to CriminalDefense's Post: What are my chances of being reembursed for lost wages? And if sited for contempt what could that consist of?

You are self employed, so you would need to show actual jobs/work you were missing out on, because of this. Moreover, it may not even be something they consider. Travel expenses are a more likely avenue. If the Judge wants you in court, they will file a rule to show cause. You would be required to appear before the Judge and explain why you did not answer to the subpoena. If you are held in contempt of court, it could result in a fine and/or jail time.

LegalKnowledge and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you