How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 117375
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is there anything I can do if a previous employer is ...

This answer was rated:

Is there anything I can do if a previous employer is accusing me of of providing alcohol for a client and giving her money out of petty cash. This is the info that is going out in the community that I work in and is devestating my chances to atain employmeny in this field. This has been very distresing to me and has caused me to loose friendships with co workers and my mental health. I am finacially being affected from this as I cant get a job in the field I can work in. There have been many incidents during my time of employmeny including a very hostile work envioronment. I have no idea wher eto start, but I have to do soemthing.
If you can prove the accusations being made are false or not able to be substantiated, then you have a claim for defamation against the employer for spreading this information about you. The absolute defense to defamation is the truth, so if the employer has proof of the allegations, then you may not succeed on the defamation claim. As far as hostile work environment, this is a legal term of art and only applies to an environment of hostility created by discrimination based upon race, sex, age, disability or one of the other recognized discriminatory reasons. It is not intended to be "a code of civility in the workplace" according to the Supreme Court. So if they were just harassing you in general and it was not based on one of the discriminatory reasons, then you have no claim. If there is some evidence of a discriminatory reason, then you must file a complaint with the EEOC and/or the state commission on human rights and then you could seek to file a discrimination suit against the employer. You should consult with an attorney to show them what evidence you have regarding the claims the employer is spreading to other employers about you and determine whether or not it is sufficient to file the defamation claim. If you cannot afford an attorney, contact the state bar about the pro bono referral program.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for each of my answers. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Law Educator, Esq. and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you