Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I would like a sample letter requesting defendants to

I need a sample letter requesting defendants to anwser interrogatories and admissions; and should I attach motion to compel with attorney fees - do you have a sample also?
Submitted: 9 years ago via RomingerLegal.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 years ago.
First, do not request anything on Requests for Admissions, anything they failed to answer after 28 days is deemed to be admitted and if they now try to answer them you must object to their answers as being out of time because under Rule 36, if a party fails to answer withint 28 days or more if the time period was specified by the person serving them, then the requests are deemed admitted.

"On (date) we served you with Interrogatories, pursuant to Rule 33 of the Ohio Rules of Civil Procedure and you have not responded within the 28 days provided by the rule. We are requesting that you provide an answer as required by (set new date, 5-10 days is reasonable) if not we will be forced to file the enclosed motion to compel along with a request for attorney's fees incurred in filing the motion."

As far as the copy of the motion, it is beyond the scope of this service to provide an actual copy, as it may be considered the unauthorized practice of law in Ohio, but it is simply a page with the case heading entitled Motion to Compel Discovery, cite Rule 33 for interrogatories and include the date served on the other party and the date the answers were do. State in the motion that the other party has not answered or otherwise objected. You must also state that you made a bona fide attempt to resolve the matter and attach a copy of the letter requesting the answers and no response was received. You then ask for attorney's fees as the court deems reasonable in addition to any appropriate sanctions as it deems fair.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for each of my answers. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.