How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask skelly151 Your Own Question
skelly151, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 2368
Experience:  Litigation specialist, Probate and Estate law, Collection law, contract disputes, builder issues
Type Your Legal Question Here...
skelly151 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What I can do for seems been stolen my identity, I tried to ...

Customer Question

What I can do for seems been stolen my identity, I tried to applied for refinance my house and I been told that my name is XXXXX XXXXX because I did not pay a bill back in 1966.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  skelly151 replied 9 years ago.
If that is not a typo someone trying to collect a bill that old is way beyond the statute of limitations and you can contest it on that basis and on the fact that you did not incur it. Ask the creditor to verify the debt in writing under the Fair Debt and Collections Practices Act. They must do so to be in compliance with that law.
skelly151 and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Do you mind that I can contact to Sears? but this agency told me that the account is no longer Sears problem, they have to collect now for other company.
Expert:  skelly151 replied 9 years ago.
Sure you can contact Sears. I would do so even if the collection company says it is now their account. IF it originated from Sears you can likewise talk to them