How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask skelly151 Your Own Question
skelly151, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 2368
Experience:  Litigation specialist, Probate and Estate law, Collection law, contract disputes, builder issues
Type Your Legal Question Here...
skelly151 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I became involved with an individual who was in business as ...

Customer Question

I became involved with an individual who was in business as a roofing contractor. We had an agreement to use my funds in support for this contractors expense and payroll in order for me to be a business partner with him. I had taken him on his word and borrowed monies, including my personal income, to become his partner. I have not received anything in return for my investment.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  skelly151 replied 9 years ago.
If he has ignored you this early in the relationship it is not looking good for repayment. I assume you have checks and or receipts for the money given to him. You have an oral promise of repayment and that is sufficient to file a small claims action in the municipal court of where he does business. The jurisdictional amount is generally $5000 and you will not require a lawyer to file a claim and the court clerk will assist you in filling out the form. Bring multiple copies of your proof to attach to the complaint and at the hearing bring all documents and any witnesses who will support your position.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I do have receipts for the monies loaned. He also is on probation for extortion with others. Will that help me with this case.
Expert:  skelly151 replied 9 years ago.
Definitely a fact to bring up in the court case. Can you roll your case into that one and have the prosecutors assist you. Contact them if you have not done so and ask.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to XXXXX XXXXX's Post: I spoke to his probation officer. I was told this would be a separate case. I do not know who the prosecutor was for the case he is on probation for. How would I access that kind of information?
Expert:  skelly151 replied 9 years ago.
You can go to the court clerk where he was tried and ask if that is public information that you can find out. Please press accept so that I can be paid for the assistance.
Expert:  skelly151 replied 9 years ago.
Have i answered? Please press accept if i have answered your question.