How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118286
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have just spent over a year in a very painful, ugly ...

Resolved Question:

I have just spent over a year in a very painful, ugly divorce. My ex-husband just received our stimulus check. (we filed as married, because we were still legally married on Dec. 31st) He refuses to sign it and sign over 1/2 to me. He says it''s worth it to him because he doesn''t need the money. I have the children full time, and he makes 6 times more money than I do. I do need the money. Is there anything I can do?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 years ago.
You will need to go to court and get an order from the court as to how to dispose of the check. The court can order him to sign it and then will decide how it will be divided or if it will be divided at all. Technically, since you filed as married, he is entitled to 1/2 and you are entitled to 1/2, but if he refuses to sign the only thing you can do is go back to the court and ask for an order on your property settlement regarding this check.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for each of my answers. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Law Educator, Esq. and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you