Ellen, Lawyer, Consultant
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

Can child support be suspended because the children are ...

Can child support be suspended because the children are visiting the Obligor for that month''s payment?
Expert:  Ellen replied 9 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

Typically, a support order takes into account the time that a child will spend with the noncustodial parent.

In any event, the court's order for child support must be followed until the court issues a new order. If you think that the support order is unfair due to changes in custody, visitation or other factors affecting the child's best interests, you can petition the court for modification to the support order.

THIS IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY. NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP EXISTS. PLEASE CONSULT A LAWYER IN YOUR STATE FOR LEGAL ADVICE

Bonuses and Positive Feedback gratefully accepted!
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
The decree does not state that the Obligor has to or can suspend the Child Support. The Obligor is just doing so. I need to know if he can decide that without prior notification to me the Obligee or without 'legal' steps and/or document to do so?
Expert:  Ellen replied 9 years ago.

The court's order for child support must be followed until the court issues a new order.

If you have not received your child support, you will need to file an action for contempt. Typically, you can go to the clerk of court and tell the clerk that you would like to file a contempt charge. The clerk can assist you.