How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawHelpNow Your Own Question
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 7639
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LawHelpNow is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i won a judment from the tx workforce commision

This answer was rated:

i won a judment from the tx workforce commision which states i was terminated through no fault of my own. the employment cntract states that the company will provide me empoyment for 1 year after which it is at will. the reason is that i received trainning from the company that is worth 5000$ to which i work for 1year and the loan is forgiven since i was fired without due cause after 9 months of work i believe the the company breached the contract i am now working in iraq and have found out that the company has put me collections and have damaged my d.a.c report. do i have a case for defamation of charecter and wrongful termination and or breach of contract.

Hello and thanks so much for choosing this forum to pose your important legal question. I will do my best to give you some honest and accurate guidance.

  1. I am sorry to hear about what has happened to you, and I hope that you can get things resolved to your satisfaction. Also, congratulations on winning your Texas Workforce Commission claim!

  2. Texas Civil Practice & Remedies Code § 73.001 provides: "A libel is a defamation expressed in written or other graphic form that tends to blacken the
    memory of the dead or that tends to injure a living person's reputation and thereby expose the person to public hatred, contempt or ridicule, or financial injury or to impeach any person's honesty, integrity, virtue, or reputation or to publish the natural defects of anyone and thereby expose the person to public hatred, ridicule, or financial injury." In your case, as you know the D.A.C. report is absolutely crucial to your work. So, yes you may well have ground to sue for defamation to recover for monetary damages including loss of future wages.

  3. Texas courts generally do not favor wrongful termination suits, and many of these lawsuits are unsuccessful. However, I say this in light of the strong doctrine of employment-at-will in Texas, which is obviously not the case since you had a contract of employment. So, again, I think you may well have grounds to pursue a case based on wrongful termination and breach of your employment contract.

  4. Given th particulars of your case, I think it would definitely be worth your time to consult an attorney. These types of cases are sometimes accepted pursuant to a contingent fee agreement whereby you would not have to pay attorney's fees unless your lawyer was successful in winning your case.

If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again. Best wishes for a successful outcome.

If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Benjamin M. Burt, Jr., Esq. You should always consult with a lawyer in your state.

LawHelpNow and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
please recommend me a lawyer to take this case.

Hello again and thanks for writing back. I will be glad to try and give you some options.

  1. A reputable and economical option is to use the State Bar of Texas Lawyer Information Referral Service. For $20 you can sit down with a lawyer face to face for 30 minutes and review your case.
  2. Another good place for your area is the Dallas Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service. This is similar to above but focuses specifically on your area.
  3. If money is less of a concern, then the very best recommendation would be to consult a board-certified lawyer in your area. I would suggest you contact the State Bar of Texas Labor and Employment Law Section to see if they could provide a referral.

I hope that it all works out for you. Thanks again for using Just Answer™. Take care.