Ellen, Lawyer, Consultant
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

My daughter was in a State & National baby pageant ...

My daughter was in a State & National baby pageant last year. She won Ms Texas and went on to win win some catagoiries at Nationals. Winning 8,000 in saving bonds. Now they wont pay. were out time off of work, 5,000 advertising we bought, airfare, ect. This has effected many parents from last yeras contest. What can we do?

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

Generally speaking, you have a breach of contract action that you can likely bring in small claims court.

You will need to be able to demonstrate to the court that you had an agreement and the agreement was breached by the other party. Since this will likely be a small claims action you may be able to proceed without an attorney.

Generally speaking, most small claims courts will have the forms that you will need to commence your action.

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you.

Best wishes for a successful outcome. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.

Thank you,

FLandNYLawyer

THIS IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY. NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP EXISTS. PLEASE CONSULT A LAWYER IN YOUR STATE FOR LEGAL ADVICE

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thank you for your feed back. But what I need to know is can I sue them for all the $$ I was out with my time off work, airline tickets, 5K in ads I bought to get her in certain catagories, Not to mention the interest on the money that they still have not sent us? Since they are out of Chicago and I'm in Houston Texas I will probably need an attorney. I know some parents are talking about a class action suit.

The amount of your damages is equal to the amount that your daughter won plus any expenses that may have arisen from the nonpayment of her prize money.

"my time off work, airline tickets, 5K in ads I bought to get her in certain catagories" - these are considered your investment in the hope your daughter would win the prize and may not be compensable.

I hope that this helps.

Thank you,

FLandNYLawyer