Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I have a contractor trying to collect for service

Customer Question
never rendered. Don''t they need...
I have a contractor trying to collect for service never rendered. Don''t they need to have a signed authorization to start any job or/and a completion? I received a demand for payment in my mailbox. I called them and they state it was my property. No proof of the work done. They send an invoice with the demand.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Legal
6/1/2008
Lawyer: rvlaw, Lawyer (JD) replied 9 years ago
rvlaw
rvlaw, Lawyer (JD)

There is no requirement of a writing. If you entered an oral contract, it is binding. That said, if you have a dispute about the quality of the work; the conformity to specs, etc...that's another issue. But it you in fact retained this contractor, you must address the issue. He can put a mechanic's lien on your house and/or sue you for money he claims is due.

Rich

rvlaw
rvlaw, Lawyer (JD)
rvlaw
rvlaw
rvlaw, Lawyer (JD)