Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My son bought a vehicle from a friend. The Security

Customer Question
My son bought a vehicle...
My son bought a vehicle from a friend. The Security Agreement written up at the Finance Dept states $200 a monh with no specific date of the month. The girl came on the 31st of May to take the vehicle back and since he did not know what to do he let her take it. She refused to accept payment from me. As I see it he was not past due until after midnight of the 31st since no specific date was stated on the agreement. Do we have any recourse as we have tried to contact her and get her to accept payment and bring the truck back to no avail. The vehicle is hidden apparantly at this time.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Legal
6/1/2008
Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 9 years ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

On what date was the original contract made?

The agreement was signed dated 3/12/08

If the contract was signed on 4/12/08, then the first payment would be due 5/12/08, unless the first month was prorated in the contract. That said, if the seller received down payment for the vehicle that was more than the value of the vehicle's use for the time in your possession, plus recovery and repair costs, if applicable, then you should be enttled to any amount over that refunded.

The seller probably doesn't trust that you will pay, but if you take her to court, it doesn't mean that you can get the car back, if you violated the security agreement.

Your best move is to try to negotiate, in my opinion -- at least based on the facts you've posted so far.

socrateaser, Lawyer