How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jane Doe Deer Your Own Question
Jane Doe Deer
Jane Doe Deer, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3896
Experience:  Atty. since 1986; Plain English answers to family law, employment, landlord-tenant, & other questions
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Jane Doe Deer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

so here is my situation I have a 7 year old son who lives ...

Customer Question

so here is my situation:I have a 7 year old son who lives with his mother and her boyfriend. I picked him up for the weekend and he had her boyfriends handprint on his neck and also bruises on his forehead and ears.My son''s mother said her boyfriend hit him. I then took him to the sheriffs station and filed a report.The officer told me I need to keep him until they can resolve the case.I am currently paying child support for him but have never gone to court for legal custody and I have also never signed anything giving up any parental rights.Does she have legal sole custody of him?or how can I find out who does?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 9 years ago.

Hi. Were you ever married? Did the mother ever file for legal custody? If not, custody hasn't been determined, and you can keep him with you until things are sorted out.

I know that's a short question. Shall we talk more?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
We were never married. She wanted me to give up my parental rights and I said no. Other than that I have not been to any custody hearing.
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 9 years ago.

Then as father you have equal custody rights with the mother.

Please also call Child Protective Services. You can leave a message with them over the weekend.

Be sure to photograph the bruises. If you're not a good photograph, go to a professional tomorrow.

Is there anything else I can help you with?