Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Is my marriage legal. We were married in NY State by my ...

Is my marriage legal. We...
Is my marriage legal. We were married in NY State by my wife''s cousin who performed the ceremony after he was ordained on line for a $200 fee for the sole purpose of performing only this mariage?
6/1/2008
Ray, Lawyer
Thanks for your question. Here are the requirements for marriage in New York.

To be valid, a marriage ceremony must be performed by any of the individuals specified in Section 11 of the New York State Domestic Relations Law. These include:

• the mayor of a city or village;
  • the former mayor, the city clerk or one of the deputy city clerks of a city of more than one million inhabitants;
  • a marriage officer appointed by the town or village board or the city common council;
  • a justice or judge of the following courts: the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, the U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Eastern or Western Districts of New York, the New York State Court of Appeals, the Appellate Division of the New York State Supreme Court, the New York State Supreme Court, the Court of Claims, the Family Court, a Surrogates Court, the Civil and Criminal Courts of New York City (including Housing judges of the Civil Court) and other courts of record;
  • a village, town or county justice;
  • a member of the clergy or minister who has been officially ordained and granted authority to perform marriage ceremonies from a governing church body in accordance with the rules and regulations of the church body;
  • a member of the clergy or minister who is not authorized by a governing church body but who has been chosen by a spiritual group to preside over their spiritual affairs;
  • other officiants as specified by Section 11 of the Domestic Relations Law.

The person performing the ceremony must be registered with the City of New York in order to perform a ceremony within the New York City limits. The officiant does not have to be a resident of New York State. Ship captains are not authorized to perform marriage ceremonies in New York State.

If you had a license, he met one of these criteria and submitted the license then yes it would be legal. Otherwise it probably isn't here..

Thank you and please click accept so that I may be paid for my answer to you. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with legal counsel for accurate information.

I HAD FOUND THIS INFO MYSELF, THAT IS WHY I ASKED YOU FOR FURTHER CLARIFICATION. HE GOT HIS MINISTERS LICENSE ON LINE. ONE OF THOSE PAY FOR SERVICES. I WANT TO KNOW WHAT SECTION 11 MEANS TO THIS MARRIAGE. I AM STILL UNCLEAR.
It means that if he signed the license and is ordained as set out above then the marriage would be legal assuming he filed the license here after the ceremony..
Ray, Lawyer
Ray, Lawyer