Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

my spouse and i 9 We both live in Brooklyn NY, are ...

my spouse and i We both live in Brooklyn NY, are planning in getting divorced....we havent been a couple for the past 5 years, but we agreed to still live in the same house for our children that are really young : 10 and 6 years old....while we are not divorced yet ...we want to sign a separation agreement...: is a separation agreement valid even if we are still living in the same house...and is it better to have it signed in front of an official notary or 2 witnesses that are our friends....does it make a difference in front of the law???
Expert:  Ray replied 9 years ago.
Thanks for your question. You can do a legal separation agreement in New York.It is o.k to still reside in the same house afterwards. You are in effect legally dividing up your property and addessing the other issues.

The web site below has forms for this process as well as instructions. Under New York law the parties need to sign and acknowledge the legal separation. In New York the court does not have to approve such an agreement.

You need to make sure that you are using a separation agreement prepared by a lawyer here, either from a form site or by having a lawyer prepare it for you. You want to make sure the document meets New York requirements here. I wish you good luck in this matter..

http://www.newyorkseparationforms.com/related/new-york-separation-agreement.htm?tkn=Cav_XyidORAKEwjo_6-NmNSTAhUqOmoKHQgcYEAYASAAMNiNlBE4DVDYjZQR

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with legal counsel for accurate information.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Tank you so much...what about the witnesses ...is t it better a Notary or can we have a witness for each party when we will sign?
Expert:  Ray replied 9 years ago.
I think these are notarized here and acknowledged. The forms will indicate the required signatures here. Good luck to you and sympathy for the situation..