Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

I am a UK resident who has stayed with friends in the US ...

I am a UK resident who has stayed with friends in the US for my 90 days and would like to go back. I would like some time to go back but they are making it difficult for me. I do have an apointment at the embassy to apply for a tourist visa whats the best way of going about wanting to go back?
Thanks for your question. I don't think it is a problem here. You may have to return to UK and then return to U.S. I think once the 90 days run they may want ot see a departure/return. The requirements are listed on this web site along with the nesassary forms here. Good luck and welcome back...

http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1262.html

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with legal counsel for accurate information.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply toCustomers Post: I did my 90 days I was allowed under the visa waiver programme but on entering the US it was hard work to say the least. I am now back in the UK to try and get longer in the US but they made it very difficult for me to arrnage the appontment. They want proof that I intend to return to the UK which clearly my family are here, however I am seeing someone in the US am I better off not saying that I am will they think I might intend to stay and settle? I met my friend I stayed with for the 90 days she was a pen pal and I stayed with her and her family will they question this also? I may look at studying whilst I am out int he US will this jeopordise getting my tourist visa? clearly if this happens I will change my visa status which I realise i can do under the tourist visa not the visa waiver and I can also extend whilst i am there which is another reason for the tourist visa. I am worried if they deny me the tourist visa it will then also jeopordise then visiting the US under the visa waiver again would this be the case do you think?
I would not mention the girlfriend. It does not help the matter. If you were to enroll here it might actually make it easier to get a student visa and it is for a much longer period here. I don't think that they will deny you another tourist visa.

I think the U.S. in general is glad to have tourists from the U.K. I think that they are pretty liberal with these as long as you tell them you intend to return. I think that if you are able to locate school while here converting to a student vias would give you a much better long term option here to see where the relationship goes. Good luck to you both with the visa and the relationship..

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I do thank you for your rapid response it has made me feel better. So just to clarify you don't think asking for 6 months to look into studying as it will be a large commitment from me both time, money and time away from family is a bad thing to ask for? It seems that your educational system is far more superior to ours here inthe UK so this does not seem like they will say no to me for wanting this.

Thanks again!
No I don't think this will be a problem. I think in general our universities are seeking out foreign students to offer a diversity of student populations. I think that the U.S. encourages students to come here for education and they will allow a visa here. Good luck to you here..

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Very lastly they will obviously ask an address of where I am staying which do you think would be best, XXXXX XXXXX give the address of the family I was staying with previously who I was pen pal with (which is the majority of the time i'll be spending there) but they questioned this at immigration with it beena family or the address of the man I am seeing and just say we were friends from my recent visit?
Just list them as family friends. Pen pals are a bad connotation. It sounds like you are seeking out people to get you into the country. Just call them friends of the family it's more general and it sounds like they may have visited you as well overseas.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Will they not question this futher or just accept that they are friends of the family? I get the impression they want me to go into extreme detail about how I know them i.e computer systems with all sorts of details about where evryone has been in the world! they certainly know all my activities to the US etc..
Well I like the sound of family friends rather than the we met on the internet approach. You met the family while you were here. You know her whole family and spent time with them touristing and want to see to see some more things......