Jane Doe Deer
Jane Doe Deer, Attorney
Experience:  Atty. since 1986; Plain English answers to family law, employment, landlord-tenant, & other questions
10033880

I purchased a car with my now ex-girlfriend at the begining ...

Customer Question

I purchased a car with my now ex-girlfriend at the begining of our relationship with which we are both on the registration and the loan. She has possession of the car but is not making the payments. Is there anyway to get possession of the car so the I will feel better about making the payment to a car I have or to sell it.
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 9 years ago.

The best way is to take her to Small Claims Court. I know that sounds simplistic, but you asked how to get possession of the car.

You could also just go take it since you are a joint owner. But your ex will probably call the police and open up Pandora's Box.

Again, it's a simple answer, but Small Claims Court is where you should go.

Co you need help with Small Claims Court information for Idaho?

If not, please "accept" the answer.

Thanks again,

Jane Doe, Deer

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Probably the main issue I have is that I don't have any contact information for her anymore. She has changed her phone number and had the loan company delete all of her information off of the loan. I have a phone number for her dad who lives in Lake Tahoe, Nv. The last I knew, she was living in Spring Creek, Nv.

Is the loan co letting her off the hook on the payments?

You know, if you stopped making payments, they'd repossess the car.

Why don't you go in and chat with the loan company. You may be able to work out a plan together that would get the car to you and let the loan company keep getting its payments.

Does that help?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
The loan company shouldn't be letting her off the loan, she is also on the loan. I'm aware they would repo the car if payments aren't made. How do I take her to small claims if I can't locate her? What's the process to get her into court?

Well, the loan company is probably trying to find her, too. That's why you may be able to work together to find her. Your knowledge of her (and where friends and family live) and their resources.

My thought is that the loan company may be able to find her easier than you can.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thank you very much for your advice. Any ideas on how to get her to small claims court?

Not until you find her. When you do, you can file in your state and give her notice at her current address.

Best of luck!