How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Cowgirl Lawyer Your Own Question
Cowgirl Lawyer
Cowgirl Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1422
Experience:  Attorney for 22 years. General Practice, Labor/Employment, PI, WC, Criminal, Family.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Cowgirl Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

About restraining orders. If the person that is supposed to ...

Customer Question

About restraining orders. If the person that is supposed to be served can't be served for whatever reason what can the plantiff do then? what will happen at court.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Cowgirl Lawyer replied 9 years ago.
The person attempting to have the restraining order served will first have to attempt personal service. Typically, a process server or police officer would attempt service. If the person to be served could not be found on the first attempts, then any person over the age of 18 who is not named in the R.O. could perform the service.

If the person being served refused to take the papers, or tore them up, service is still valid under California law.

Also, in many instances, a court will issue a temporary restraining order in the absence of personal service on the defendant.

Good luck to you!

Please ACCEPT. Positive feedback and bonuses are appreciated!

Gloria Morris

Attorney at Law

Legal Disclaimer: The information I am providing you is for informational and research use only. You are paying me only for such information. The information is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. As the law is constantly changing, you are advised to consult with legal counsel in your area for specific information relevant to your situation.

Related Legal Questions