How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Cowgirl Lawyer Your Own Question
Cowgirl Lawyer
Cowgirl Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1422
Experience:  Attorney for 22 years. General Practice, Labor/Employment, PI, WC, Criminal, Family.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Cowgirl Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My granddaughter got in a little trouble in school in ...

Resolved Question:

My granddaughter got in a little trouble in school in California so we moved her here to New Mexico to live with Us. She Was never arrested or convicted of anything but was caught with Drug paraphanallia. Can the California probation Department impose conditions or punishment on her here in New Mexico?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Cowgirl Lawyer replied 9 years ago.

In order to answer your question, I need more information.

1) How old is your granddaughter?

2) You say she was never arrested nor convicted of anything, but she has a tie to the California probation department. I need more clarification here, as probation departments are not involved absent SOME action.

a) Was she given any sort of ticket or other paper regarding the drug paraphernalia? If so, what was it?

b) Did she meet with anyone involved in the juvenile court system? If so, what was the nature of that meeting?

Thank you,

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
1.) My Grand Daughter is 14 years old.
2.)She was given a ticket by the Paso Robles Police dept.
3.)Her mother met with the probation dept and they started talking about A Diversion program.
My Grand Daughter Admitted to Drinking and Smoking Marijuanna but wasn,t caught with and Drugs or Alchohol.
One of the Police officers advised her to relocate My Grand Daughter saying they would probably drop the case.
Expert:  Cowgirl Lawyer replied 9 years ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

Many first offender juveniles are dealt with through diversion programs as an alternative to juvenile court. If the diversion program is successfully completed, the juvenile does not end up in juvenile court. Because your granddaughter is in a diversion program, yes, the probation department has legal power over her. And if she does not either complete the program successfully or otherwise be successfully discharged from the program, the charges may be referred to the juvenile court. They may drop her from the program, or they may not. It is also possible that they may transfer her probation to your local juvenile probation department in New Mexico.

Good luck to you!

Please ACCEPT. Positive feedback and bonuses are appreciated!

Gloria Morris

Attorney at Law

Legal Disclaimer: The information I am providing you is for informational and research use only. You are paying me only for such information. The information is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. As the law is constantly changing, you are advised to consult with legal counsel in your area for specific information relevant to your situation.

Cowgirl Lawyer and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you