How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Cowgirl Lawyer Your Own Question
Cowgirl Lawyer
Cowgirl Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1422
Experience:  Attorney for 22 years. General Practice, Labor/Employment, PI, WC, Criminal, Family.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Cowgirl Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i have my grand daughter who is 13 years old. her mother ...

Resolved Question:

i have my grand daughter who is 13 years old. her mother left to live with her boyfriend the first of march. she receive''s social security for her daughter from her deceased father. she is continuing to get the check and has not given me a dime for h er support. i have been to social security to try and have the check changed over to me for her support. i have a temporary guardianship paper that the mother signed and it was notorized. but social security said it needs to come from a court. i don''t know how to go about going before a judge to get custody. i can''t afford a lawyer. i am on social security myself. it is the only income i have. my grand daughter wants to be with me not her mother. can you tell me how and where to go to see a judge and get this done. thank you. janice lee
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Cowgirl Lawyer replied 9 years ago.
You should go to court to request formal custody of your granddaughter. If you do not feel capable of doing this without an attorney (doing it pro se), you can go to Legal Aid to see if they will help you. They are stretched thin, with too few attorneys to represent too any people, but they might be able to assist you.

If you are unable to retain an attorney, the balance of my answer deals with how you would proceed alone. If you must go this alone, you will need to file a petition in court. In that petition, you will request temporary custody. Unfortunately, the Miami-Dade County courts actually charge pro se litigants a fee for their packets. The fee may be waived upon a showing of indigency, so you may be able to get the court to waive or reduce the fee. The good news is that the packets are not priced extremely high.

In Miami-Dade County, pro se parties are required to use the court's packets for matters such as temporary custody of a family member. Miami-Dade has a Family Court Self-Help Program that pro se parties are required to use. Here is a link to their website:

If the link above does not work for you, try copying and pasting the link into your browser.

You will need to go to the Family Court Self Help Project located on the 24th Floor, Room 2400 of the Lawson E. Thomas Courthouse Center at 175 N.W. 1st Avenue, Miami, Florida. They have the packets there. You will have to make an appointment with them. You will fill out theforms. Once you have the appropriate forms completed, you will return to their office for your appointment.

Good luck to you!

Please ACCEPT. Positive feedback and bonuses are appreciated!

Gloria Morris

Attorney at Law

Legal Disclaimer: The information I am providing you is for informational and research use only. You are paying me only for such information. The information is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. As the law is constantly changing, you are advised to consult with legal counsel in your area for specific information relevant to your situation.

Cowgirl Lawyer and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you