How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawHelpNow Your Own Question
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 7639
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LawHelpNow is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can an employer terminate an union employee while on a ...

Resolved Question:

Can an employer terminate an union employee while on a workers compensation injury in the state of Hawaii? I filed a wrongful termination with the state and the employer wants to settle with me out side of the hearing $10,000.00 which is taxable and $26,000.00 for the workers compensation for a wash out.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 9 years ago.

Hello and thanks so much for choosing this forum to pose your important legal question. I will do my best to give you some honest and accurate guidance.

  1. I am sorry to hear about this frustrating situation. I will defer to your workers' compensation attorney in that regard, but I will be glad to comment as to wrongful termination.

  2. First, the issue of being a union employee definitely caught my attention. Hawaii is an employment-at-will state, but if you were terminated contrary to the provisions of your union agreement then that certainly changes the analysis. I would start with a close look at what protections your collective bargaining agreement provides. If you haven't already done so, check with the union's legal department and get their take on the situation. Also, I would ask about filing a grievance to get a review.

  3. Second, the issue of being out due to an injury is another major consideration. The federal Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) might come into play, as it provides for 12 weeks of coverage. Hawaii also has a state family medical leave act that provides for four weeks of leave per calendar year.

  4. As far as damages are concerned, if you prove a wrongful discharge case you would generally be entitled to be compensated for lost wages, value of lost benefits and, in certain circumstances, punitive damages and damages for emotional distress caused by the employer's acts.

  5. Prior to accepting a settlement I would suggest running things by a neutral third-party attorney. Here is the only legal referral service approved by the Hawaii State Bar Association as well as the American Bar Association. You can even get a a free review Wednesday evenings from 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. by calling(NNN) NNN-NNNN

If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again. Best wishes for a successful outcome.

If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Benjamin M. Burt, Jr., Esq. You should always consult with a lawyer in your state.

LawHelpNow and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Related Legal Questions