How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jane T (LLC) Your Own Question
Jane T (LLC)
Jane T (LLC), Lawyer (JD)
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 8435
Experience:  Experienced attorney; contracts, internet, business, finance, employment, RE, consumer, & more.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Jane T (LLC) is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was just contacted by a very rude and nasty women

Resolved Question:

I was just contacted by a very rude and nasty women stating that I owe from some payday loan company from over two years ago. She insisted that I give her all my checking account information over the phone. I don''t even remember the company name. When I did a reverse check on the phone number, you can''t find it. Also, I can''t find the company on the internet. Am I doing right by not returning this womens calls or is there any legal avenues I can take. I''m just afraid this could be a scam and as soon as she gets my account information, our checking will be bled dry. What legal rights do I have or can they ask for that kind of information over the phone?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Jane T (LLC) replied 9 years ago.


Normally, collectors do not ask for personal information about account numbers or other personal information BUT that alone does not mean this was a "scam" and not a proper call. When contacted by a collection agency a consumer has the right to ask for proof of the amount owed and other rights under the federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) , which the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) is in charge or regulating or overseeing and you can learn more about what consumers' rights are when contacted by debt collectors by reading - You can also contact the FTC to report any improper action by a debt collector or potential ID theft by calling them at the number listed at the bottom of that webpage. The FTC also has an Identity Theft division you can contact for assistance -

To find out if this is legitimate or not, you may want to contact your state's Attorney General's office, most of them have a "consumer protection" division or section, to find out what to do and to see if they can investigate. If you tell me what state you are in I can give you a link to your state's Attorney General's office or other consumer protection office.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I'm still confused.   I'm afraid if I don't do something there's going to be a big mess in the future. I feel like I'm between a hard place and a rock.

What can I ask her to furnish as proof?
Expert:  Jane T (LLC) replied 9 years ago.


Unfortunately, only an attorney you hire in your state or your state Attorney General's office or the FTC (which is why I provided the information about them and said if you can tell me your state I can give you the contact information for the AGs office) can help you decide how to proceed. Of course, if this collection agency is real, then ignoring it will certainly be a bigger problem later. You need to contact the agencies that can help you, or an attorney, ASAP.

State AGs investigate and help consumers whose rights may be violated or who need to be protected from unethical or illegal businesses or scams. In PA, the AGs office has a hotline you can call and also their direct number -

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I leave in Pennsylvania. And thank you for all your help.
Expert:  Jane T (LLC) replied 9 years ago.


I just saw that you said PA - In PA, the AGs office has a hotline you can call and also their direct number -

I hope the AGs office can help you, also, as this may be a crime, you may also want to contact your local police to see if they can investigate this to see if it is a potential identity theft or other theft matter.

If my response has been helpful, please do not forget to click the accept button.

Jane T (LLC) and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you