How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ms Chase Your Own Question
Ms Chase
Ms Chase, Consultant
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 2897
Experience:  Business, Custody, Marriage/Divorce, Criminal Law, Contract Negotiation, Entertainment Law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ms Chase is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

statute of limitations on property left behind

This answer was rated:

My EX boyfriend of 4 years moved out of MY house 3 months ago. He is living with another woman yet he still continues to harass me by calling my phone multiple times a day, threatening me when I do decide to answer, occasionally following me places and making a scene, and walking up and down my street talking to all my neighbors about the reasons why HE left ME. Which is untrue, I KICKED HIM OUT! Is this behavior considered stalking? I never call him, I never respond to him, and act like he doesn't exist. He won't let it go. By the way, the woman he is now with lives across the street from me so it is very hard to avoid them. What should I do?


What is your state?


Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Ms Chase's Post: I live in the state of MIssouri
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I live in the state of Missouri

Hello cl,

Just about everything you've mentioned would make you eligible to file an order of protection. You will need to contact your local courthouse to find out from the clerk what you would need to do to get the process started. Let them know that he has been threatening you, harassing you, and basically making you fearful.

As for his things, I would give him the opportunity to take his things. Since he lives across the street, this shouldn't be a big issue. Box the things up and put them by the front door, but do not leave them outside, or in front of her house where they can be stolen. Have someone (even the police) be there when he gets his things to avoid confrontation. Do not get rid of his things, regardless of what he does, or you could be held liable for them. If he won't come and get his things, then you'll want to write a letter (signature required, return receipt requested) simply asking him to give you a date and a time when he can get his things. If he doesn't get them within 30 days, send a second letter, and in this letter, give him between 30 and 60 days to get them or they will be given away or thrown away. Again, do not damage or get rid of his things, as you don't want to cause any legal troubles of your own.


Ms Chase and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
He left mostly junk. The 2 largest items are an exercise machine (which he NEVER used) and a BBQ smoker. He has a FEW smaller items but nothing much and nothing worth anything. He is trying to claim such things as the livingroom furniture, which I happen to have the receipt for and it is in my name,   and a few other things such as a television that he bought when we were together, (he took a television that belonged to me BEFORE we were together) Does he have the RIGHT to come into MY home 3 months AFTER he has moved and start laying claim to ANYTHING----without a receipt to prove that it belongs to him?

No, you can pack up his things and get them ready to go. You can offer to have them delivered to him. If you get a restraining order, he won't be able to come into the house.


Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Since the items are in my home, and obviously I am not a storage facility, by law do I have to return anything to him since it has been 3 months?

Had you known you could have sent him something in writing before the three months and I understand you are not a storage facility. Keep in mind, you are free to do what you want with the items or otherwise, I am simply letting you know the legalities of it. If you did not give him a chance to get his things, and the only way you can prove that you did is by sending him a letter where you get a signature receipt from him, then he can sue you for the items or their cost.