How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jane T (LLC) Your Own Question
Jane T (LLC)
Jane T (LLC), Lawyer (JD)
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 8435
Experience:  Experienced attorney; contracts, internet, business, finance, employment, RE, consumer, & more.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Jane T (LLC) is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The greatest part of my neighborhood ( an upper middle ...

Resolved Question:

The greatest part of my neighborhood ( an upper middle class neighborhood)have already signed with one of two oil and gas companies at their (the oil & gas co.)first legal representation..just signed! I am a widow caring for my 86 yr. old father and preparing to take him myself back to his home in Florida and am swamped. I couldn''t spearhead anything myself. I have hung back hoping someone else would come forward in the past two months, but instead all but two that I know of have not signed. Do we have any recourse at all but to sign whatever deal they have placed on the table? I am very concerned. No one seems to care about anything but the $1700.00 per acre signing bonus and the two year option at the SAME deal they are getting now. No one is looking at fine print. I know nothing else.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Jane T (LLC) replied 9 years ago.


I would be unable to tell you if in your situation you, in particular, do or do not have any other choice but to sign or if you can negotiate something else. BUT - I can tell you that normally, where a group of homeowners is made an offer, they normally can obtain legal counsel (attorney) to review the offer and tell them if they can negotiate something else, ask for more money, or try to obtain better terms in those contracts, or at least explain to the homeowners exactly what signing will mean to them. Although you are planning to drive at this time, based on what you say, you can hire an attorney to review your "offer" and see what can be done, to have them get started on this before time runs out and work on it even while you are driving.

Jane T (LLC) and 9 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Jane T (LLC)'s Post: As I had already stated in my question, the other homeowners had chosen to sign at the meetings that the gas and oil companies had set up with their "neighborhood-groups" complete with their own attorneys when they first sent out their own letters...can you believe about naivete! So I am one of maybe two that has not signed in this particular neighborhood. I don't imagine that being out of town in, now, two days, I can do anything but sign.
Expert:  Jane T (LLC) replied 9 years ago.


If you can find an attorney BEFORE the two days are up, or even, while out of town find an attorney BEFORE any kind of signing deadline, that attorney can see if he/she can negotiate for a delay to see if he/she can:

  • perhaps negotiate something better for you;
  • review the contract to tell you exactly what it means for you today and in the future;
  • or do any other number of things he/she believes are prudent given what the contract says

Normally, persons have options until a deadline passes, once it passes they may not have a second chance, but before it passes they can try to do as much as possible if they take action.