How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawHelpNow Your Own Question
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 7639
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LawHelpNow is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been living with a woman for 14 years but the ...

Customer Question

I have been living with a woman for 14 years but the company she works for will not let her put me on her health insurance. If i was of the same sex they would allow it. Isn''t that reverse discremination. She is afraid to push the issue because they may fire her.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 9 years ago.

Hello and thanks so much for choosing this forum to pose your important legal question. I will do my best to give you some honest and accurate guidance.

  1. Others who have found themself in a similar position have wondered the same.
  2. Although I can't change the way things are, I can give you the law on this topic.
  3. The employer is under no legal obligation to furnish health insurance. It is entirely voluntary on their part. They are pretty much free to offer this benefit as they please as long as civil rights are not violated.
  4. Here, opposite-sex couples living together are impacted. However, they are not a "protected class" (such as would be the case with discrimination based upon certain defined categories such as religion, race, etc.). As a matter of fact, homosexuality is not a protected class either.
  5. Thus, this boils down to a matter of the employer's policy (for whatever reasons) rather than a legal issue.

If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again. Best wishes for a successful outcome.

If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Benjamin M. Burt, Jr., Esq. You should always consult with a lawyer in your state.