Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

After I die, does my wife receive my social security ...

Customer Question
After I die, does my...
After I die, does my wife receive my social security benefits and if she re-marries will she continue to get them
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Legal
4/28/2008
Lawyer: LEV, Retired replied 9 years ago
LEV
LEV, Retired

Your spouse can receive benefits as a widow/widower if the marriage lasted 10 years or longer.

Social Security survivors benefits can be paid to:
--A widow or widower -- full benefits at full retirement age, or reduced benefits as early as age 60
--A disabled widow or widower -- as early as age 50
--A widow or widower at any age if he or she takes care of the deceased's child who is under age 16 or disabled, and receiving Social Security benefits

In general, you cannot receive survivors benefits if you remarry before the age of 60 unless the latter marriage ends, whether by death, divorce, or annulment. If you remarry after age 60 (50 if disabled), you can still collect benefits on your former spouse's record. When you reach age 62 or older, you may get retirement benefits on the record of your new spouse if they are higher.

Please see for reference - http://ssa.gov/ww&os2.htm

You may confirm the information above by calling SSA at , 1-800-772-1213. I(TTY number, 1-800-325-0778).

LEV
LEV, Retired
LEV
LEV
LEV, Retired