Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

what question can I ask an undercover police officer

Customer Question
who poses as a prostitute...
what question can I ask an undercover police officer who poses as a prostitute, that would compel them to disclose they are an undercover John?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Legal
4/23/2008
Lawyer: Lawrence N. Rogak, Insurance Atty, Lawyer replied 9 years ago
Lawrence N. Rogak, Insurance Atty

Hi Vince! First of all, thanks for requesting me. I'm going to do my best to answer your question.

You have to realize, I'm sure, that no undercover cop posing as a hooker is going to admit to you that she's a cop. Not until she slaps the cuffs on you, anyway. The very essence of police undercover work is to fool you into thinking they are not cops. You could approach a hooker and ask her to swear on a Bible that you whip out of your pocket that she's not an undercover cop, and she could swear on it twice, and still arrest you as soon as you solicit her for sex.

That's their job, Vince. They are a worm wiggling on a hook, and you are a fish. She'll swear she's just an ordinary worm, and the next thing you know, you're flopping around on the bottom of a boat with a hook in your mouth.

Didn't you read the papers about New York's governor Elliot Spitzer? He got caught going all the way to D.C. for sessions with a high priced, $4500 an hour callgirl, and he still got caught. He thought that at those fancy prices he was buying security. He resigned in disgrace just last month.

There's no safe way, Vince. If you want meaningless sex, try the adult 'friend' websites. From what I hear, there are plenty of women looking for short-term, no-committment hookups.

Lawrence N. Rogak, Insurance Atty
Lawrence, your answer is good advice, that which i am aware of and should follow. However, there is no legal fact of the does and don'ts of an undercover cop. can they touch you and make first advance? what is clear entrapment?

Let's put it this way: if you meet her in church and she makes advances at you and asks for money, that's entrapment. But if she's leaning against a lamppost on East Colfax wearing hot pants and you cruise up to her and she leans into your car and you start talking sex for money, that ain't entrapment, pal.

So what I'm saying is, it's the circumstances.

meets me in a fancy hotel room on Broadway, with a bottle of wine? she asks for cash, do you have the money? or i ask her to touch the johnson to make certain she's not a cop? both allowable? or would she have to not ask for money or would she have to deny touching the johnson. I am looking for something definitive here. Thanks

As soon as money is mentioned, unless you say, "Money??? I thought you were a nice girl!" -- you're in trouble.

Vince -- these undercover cops are professionally trained. You're asking questions like you're trying to fool an amateur. She's not gonna touch your johnson -- she'd sooner break it off.

The second money gets mentioned, either you're gonna say no and she walks away, or you're gonna say yes and get pinched! And believe me Vince, Johnson isn't going to get touched no matter which way it goes -- unless you wind up in the lockup, in which case Johnson is going to get touched a whole lot more than you bargained for.

What you want can't be done, Vince. They've been trained professionally. They don't put these girls on the street until they've learned every trick in the book. You'd have an easier time trying to slide aces out of your sleeve in a casino.

I hear you. i now better not a good decision if i don't get caught. thanks for taking the time to discuss this. Vince.
Lawrence N. Rogak, Insurance Atty
Lawrence N. Rogak, Insurance Atty
Lawrence N. Rogak, Insurance Atty, Lawyer