Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

What would I be served civil papers by my county''s sheriff

What would I be served...
What would I be served civil papers by my county''s sheriff for?
4/22/2008
JoeLawyer
JoeLawyer, Lawyer (JD)

HiCustomer

The sheriff's department is tasked with delivering summonses and complaints when lawsuits are filed. They are also the agency which delivers other documents issued by courts, such as notices of sheriff sales, notices of hearings, etc.

Generally, if a sheriff's deputy comes by to serve civil papers, it is because the recipient is being sued by someone for something.

Does that answer your question?

Joe

LEGAL NOTICE: I am only licensed to practice law in certain state(s) and I cannot give legal advice to someone who does not reside in a state in which I am licensed, nor shall anything I say in the above answer or elsewhere on this site be deemed legal advice, even to someone who resides in a state in which I am licensed. Fees I receive for answering questions are paid for information, not for legal advice. This forum is designed to provide general information only, and information herein is not warranted to be correct or applicable in any way since laws may have been misinterpreted herein, since laws change from time to time, and since the impact of those laws on any particular situation varies. The information presented in this site shall not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of an attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this response are encouraged to seek independent legal counsel in their jurisdiction for guidance regarding their individual circumstances. Do not take any action or inaction based on information presented herein since it is informational and may not be accurate or applicable to you; it merely attempts to give you a basis of knowledge to help you formulate questions to ask a legal or other professional in a face-to-face meeting in your jurisdiction. Joseph Ross does not hold himself out to be a specialist or expert in any area, regardless of assertions made by any third party, and any implication of being an expert or specialist herein is made in error. I hope the information presented above is useful to you. Answer above is (c) Joseph Ross. All rights reserved.

JoeLawyer
JoeLawyer, Lawyer (JD)
Reply to Joseph Ross ESQ's Post: What types of things would you be served civil papers for?

Any type of lawsuit really, but most often a complaint. Since it is civil and not criminal, this means someone - and not the state - is suing you in court, seeking monetary damages normally. For example, it could be a credit card suing you if you owe money, or it could be an ex-spouse seeking something from a divorce decree.

You could call your clerk's office and ask them if there is any pending litigation in your name, this might be the quickest way for you to find out exactly what the deputy was likely serving. You can contact the Daviess County clerk by calling(###) ###-####or visit their website, here. Or, if that does not yield any results, you can contact the Daviess County Sheriff's Department at(###) ###-####or visit their website, here. I think you will have to call one of these places to get the information, I doubt if it is available onliune, but I linked their websites in case you need directions or more contact info.

Let me know if you need anything else!

Joe

JoeLawyer
JoeLawyer
JoeLawyer, Lawyer (JD)