Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I decided to cancel my Capital One credit card, so I ...

I decided to cancel my...
I decided to cancel my Capital One credit card, so I called the company after sending a full payment for what I owed, around $265. In March I recieved a bill for $37.34 for CreditInform for Nov. 07, Dec. 07, Jan. 08, Feb. 08, and March 08, $8.99 a pop. I never ordered the service, but when I called, I was informed that I''d been a member since 2003! CreditInform told me that Capital One had refused payment of $8.99 back in November, dec., Jan, Feb, March. When I tried to cancel the card, Capital One slammed me with the bill for all five months. They also charged me $.32 for payment protection on the card I cancelled. I refuse to pay this. how do they get away with this? Help, please.
4/9/2008
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney

Hello and thank you for allowing me to address your legal question.

I would first call Capital One and ask them to explain what CreditInform is and how you were signed up for the service unknowingly. The answer to that may guide you further. You may also want to address that question to CreditInform itself.

When you contact CreditInform, ask them to send you a copy of the signed document obligating you to pay the bill. Most likely, there is no such document. You should then claim that you did not consent to the service, that you received no benefit from the service, and that you are therefore not obligated to pay for the service. For that small amount I would hope that they just drop it. However, they may be able to point to a clause in your Capital One agreement stating that you will pay after terminating your credit card.

Unfortunately, there is the possibility that if you don’t pay, they will send collectors after you. If that should happen, you should send the collector a written demand for verification of the debt. Once you do that, the collector must seek evidence from the creditor that you indeed owe the money. Without a written document, that may be tough for them to do. The worst case scenario is that a blemish will appear on your credit report. If that happens, you’ll need to dispute the entry, and the credit bureau will require evidence that you owe the debt as well. If that were to happen, and the entry were not removed even after a dispute, you’d need to sue to get the blemish removed. That is why many people decide to just pay bills like yours in the first place – they figure it’s easier to pay $37 now than deal with all the hassles in the future.

If I were you, however, I’d start with the phone calls I mentioned, then make your decision about what to do from there. If you want, feel free to post back after you get responses from both companies.

If the information that I provided was helpful, please remember to ACCEPT my post as that is the only way we experts receive compensation for our work. Thank you!

TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney