How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Kim Courtney Your Own Question
Kim Courtney
Kim Courtney,
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4219
Experience:  Founder/Member at Food Business Association
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Kim Courtney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

is there a way to report, and address personal internet ...

Customer Question

is there a way to report, and address personal internet character defamation on public websites, such as myspace, along with a warming to take legal action against those of my immediate family who have written things on or about me on their personal myspace web page? this is a public website, for public viewing, and they have recently made their own pages private so i can no longer view their commentary. i have captured one of the pages, and saved it on my laptop.
i am disabled, so i am sorry that i can only donate $15.00. thank you.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Kim Courtney replied 9 years ago.

The short answer to your question is yes, you can report defamatory activity either to the criminal authorities, or begin a civil lawsuit.

The law of defamation is complex, as it has been determined by numerous court decisions rather than one national statute. Most states allow civil and/or criminal legal actions for various kinds of defamation and retaliate against groundless criticism. Defamation is defined as "the communication of a statement that makes a false claim, expressively stated or implied to be factual, that may harm the reputation of an individual, business, product, group, government or nation." In order to consititute defamation, there must be a public disclosure of private facts where one person reveals information which is not of public concern, and the release of which would offend a reasonable person. Truth is a defense to defamation.

Although the internet is still rather young and largely unregulated, a publication of a defamatory statement on a website, forum or mailing list is generally considered to be public.

So whether you want to make a criminal report - which you would make to the police - or file a civil lawsuit, you should first ask yourself whether the information they are publishing meets the definition of defamation above. If so, you can proceed if your state allows such action.



Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Courtney Law Group's Post: hello, in the area where i put my legal question and amount of money that i could pay to get an answer, i check the "NOW" button, and waited two hours for an answer from over 7000 experienced people. well i sent an email about the wait, and here is what it said when i asked about the wait, being disabled, and therefore not being able to send more $$:


If you'd like to increase your offer, that may help.

Let me know if you need additional assistance.

Moderator/Customer Support,

therefore, i do not want to be charged even the smallest of $15, after that reply. so very unkind and unprofessional. please reply asap.
carol bastian [email protected]