Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Type your legal question here My son want to sign his ...

Customer Question
Type your legal question here My...
Type your legal question here
My son want to sign his house over to me, what does he have to do and what would be the charge on all this.
thank you

herta flores
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Legal
4/1/2008
Lawyer: Mr Lofton, Lawyer. replied 9 years ago
Mr Lofton
Mr Lofton, Lawyer.

Signing a house over to you requires the signing of a "Deed" to the property to you and then filing that deed in the county court "registry of deeds". Go down to the court where the deeds are filed and ask the clerk there for help. Better yet, ask a lawyer who does real estate law to do this for you. Probably would not charge more than a couple of hundred dollars.

All the best,

Can I do this or does my son has to take the real estate lawyer?
Can I get the house, and when I dye, will I need to get a will, or can I do this at the time at the sign over of the house, that it will go automatically back to my son.
Thank you
Gisela F.

You can do it at time if the deed provides a life estate to you with a remainder to you son. Or, you could do it by a will. Or if thereis no will and your sone is your only child and you die unmarried, he would get it then anyway. As you can see,there is more way than just one to do what you want, and how you do it can have tax complications - so, best advice see a lawyer.

All the best,

Mr Lofton
Mr Lofton, Lawyer.
Mr Lofton
Mr Lofton
Mr Lofton, Lawyer.