How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mr Lofton Your Own Question
Mr Lofton
Mr Lofton, Lawyer.
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1291
Experience:  30 years of experience as a counselor and trial lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Mr Lofton is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Type your legal question here My son want to sign his ...

Resolved Question:

Type your legal question here
My son want to sign his house over to me, what does he have to do and what would be the charge on all this.
thank you

herta flores
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Mr Lofton replied 9 years ago.

Signing a house over to you requires the signing of a "Deed" to the property to you and then filing that deed in the county court "registry of deeds". Go down to the court where the deeds are filed and ask the clerk there for help. Better yet, ask a lawyer who does real estate law to do this for you. Probably would not charge more than a couple of hundred dollars.

All the best,


Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Can I do this or does my son has to take the real estate lawyer?
Can I get the house, and when I dye, will I need to get a will, or can I do this at the time at the sign over of the house, that it will go automatically back to my son.
Thank you
Gisela F.
Expert:  Mr Lofton replied 9 years ago.

You can do it at time if the deed provides a life estate to you with a remainder to you son. Or, you could do it by a will. Or if thereis no will and your sone is your only child and you die unmarried, he would get it then anyway. As you can see,there is more way than just one to do what you want, and how you do it can have tax complications - so, best advice see a lawyer.

All the best,

Mr Lofton and 11 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you