How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask rvlaw Your Own Question
rvlaw, Lawyer (JD)
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 8386
Experience:  NYC Trial Atty. 30 yrs.- pers. inj., contracts, real estate, criminal, estates, matrimonial.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
rvlaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am being suied for not paying a divorce lawyer( I did pay ...

Resolved Question:

I am being suied for not paying a divorce lawyer( I did pay him and asked to represent myself because he was lazy and could show no work) but he has padded his bill and showed up in court with a partial bill. Is that acceptable for someone to show up in court with a partial bill and the suit remain valid?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  rvlaw replied 9 years ago.


The suit may remain but if he can't prove his entire bill he can only POTENTIALLY recover for the charges he does present. It would be great for you as the defendant if you had notes of the alleged conversations or other activity claimed to contradict what he says he is owed. If you have no notes, go over his bill carefully and be prepared to testify that particular charges are padded and/or didn't happen. Ultimate action you can take is threaten to report him to the state bar...that often causes a guy like that to back down.


Jerome E. Larkin
Illinois Attorney Registration and
Disciplinary Commission
130 East Randolph Street, Suite 1500
Chicago, ILNNN-NN-NNNNbr />312/565-2600; 800/826-8625
FAX: 312/565-2320


rvlaw and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you