How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask The Law Man Your Own Question
The Law Man
The Law Man, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 39
Experience:  Over 25 Years of experience as a Praticing Attorney at Law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
The Law Man is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I sue my auto mechanic for performing faulty work

Resolved Question:

I took my car to a mechanic to have the transmission flushed, the mechanic didn''t connect the transmission cooling lines correctly and it caused my transmission to overheat and possibly caused internal damage. When it overheated it caused my car to break down on the side of road and it made me miss school. Can I sue my mechanic?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  The Law Man replied 9 years ago.

I am sorry to hear that you had problems with this mechanic. That is always frustrating when you pay someone to fix your car and they make things worse. You could sue the mechanic or his company in the justice court / small claims court if the damages are under a certain amount, usually $2500.

Before you go to that trouble I recommend that you take the car to another mechanic to document the damage and get an estimate of how much it will cost to repair the car. Then send a letter to the first mechanic with a copy of the repair estimate and say thet you want that amount of money in 10 days or you will pursue all legal remedies. Send the letter thru the US post office certified mail return receipt requested so he will have to sign for it.

You can also file a complaint with the local better business bureau and they can help you settlle these kinds of disputes. My advice is to try get your damages thru the letter and the better business bureau and if that does not work go ahead and file in the justice/small claims court. Keep all of your documents and write down exactly what happened so when it comes court time you will be able to remember all of the details.

If your damages or higher that the justice court can take it would be worth it to hire a local attorney to represent you . Most justice courts have websites with information on how to file a complaint in their court .

I hope this helps you and if you have questions let me know.

I wish you the best.

The Law Man and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you