Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

In a very heated telephone argument with my sister in law I ...

In a very heated telephone...
In a very heated telephone argument with my sister in law I said she was the biggest B I ever met and a few other choice words this was all done to her answering machine because while I would listen to her rantings when I would try to speak or defend myself she would hang up so I could only speak to her machine. I have since been told that she saved these messages and intends to use them to sue me for slander, while it sounds ridiculous to me I would just like to know if this is even possible?
3/1/2008
Michelle
Michelle, Paralegal

Dear Customer

Anyone can file a lawsuit. It is a matter of winning - and everyone is entitled to their opinion. And, if yours is that you sister is all those things you told her she was - then she would need to prove that your opinion of her is false and defamatory and has caused her not only emotional distress but has affected her ability to earn a living and therefore a financial hardship. Defamation cases are very hard to win because the burden of proof is on the Petition to prove that the statements are false thereby basically putting their entire life on trial. As you suspect, her ability to recover in such a matter would be slim.

I do suggest that you might not want to leave messages on recorders. That could bring about criminal harassment charges.

Best to you,

Reply to Michelle's Post: Ok on that note should I be concerned about criminal harrassment charges in this situation. I have never called her again and don't plan to speak to her although I received a letter from her in the mail.

Dear Customer

No. I was just giving a head's up. You would need to be told not to call (actually, that should come in writing) and then you would have to ignore that demand. Harassment is a continuing course of conduct. You're safe for now !

Best to you,

Best to you,

Michelle
Michelle, Paralegal
Reply to Michelle's Post: Thank you! Sigh you can't pick your family. :-)

Dear Customer

That's a fact !

Michelle
Michelle
Michelle, Paralegal