How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience in general law, including real estate, criminal, traffic, and domestic relations
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

if a deceased spouse leaves his fortune to his surviving s

Customer Question

Mt Father just passed away last week, I have not lived around then for over 30 years, because of my job and multiple transfere. he left his vast estate to my mother in the form of a trust. because my brother has already recieved he family business, the original home and land which was three generations old. i am worried that my mother will decide to leave him everyrhing and leave myself and my sons out completely, Is this a possibility ?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 9 years ago.

DearCustomer- Unless your mother dies without a will you have no legal right to inherit if her will leaves everything to someone else. Your father also had the right to exclude you from his will since a spouse is the only person with a right to a share regardless of the will. If your mother dies without a will and is not re-married then you could inherit pursuant to the laws of intestate succession.

David Kennett - JD - Attorney at Law