How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask truthfinder Your Own Question
truthfinder, Truth Finder
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 2293
Experience:  I'm a straight forward person w/ a professional manner & drive to find the truth!
Type Your Legal Question Here...
truthfinder is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If someone files a restraining order on you and

Customer Question

If someone files a restraining order on you and you leave town to get away from them, yet they continue to contact you, can you get in trouble for responding as long as this response is professional?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  truthfinder replied 9 years ago.

Yes, you can be arrested. The best and legal option is to notify the police & court where the order was issued where they live. Depending on what state this is in you may be able to get a restraining order against them for harassment and their's could be dropped due to the violations they have committed.

Read HERE.

truthfinder and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I'm in California. If I show these hostile texts to the authorities will they have mercy seeing I have not said anything hostile?
Expert:  truthfinder replied 9 years ago.

There is always a "possibility" that an officer or judge will be lenient and dismiss the charges or lessen the penalty; but by the terms of the RO, you are in violation. It can be argued that at the first sign of contact you should have notified the police and the court....but that doesn't meant that they WILL charge you, just saying it is the law.

The best thing to do with those texts are to use them to get a Restraining Order issued against the other person through the links I sent you before you can read more on the Civil Harassment order as well as getting those forms HERE. You may also have a small claims suit against them for the harassment where you can seek monetary damages (especially if you are arrested due to them breaking the order that was issued to protect them); for more on small claims issues in your state go HERE (you do not have to have an attorney to file this type of case.