How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lawgirl Your Own Question
Lawgirl, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4606
Experience:  I am an attorney familiar with the above-stated subject matter.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lawgirl is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The mother of my step-children wants the father to pay for ...

Customer Question

The mother of my step-children wants the father to pay for the daughter''s college. We''ve agreed to help, but she wants all even though she put us in financial ruins 2 years ago by taking us to court for child support. We won, but we have not recovered yet. The mother and the two kids live in FL and we live in IN. She now wants us to sign the application to reveal our combined income. I want the children to have a good education, but not entirely on our expense alone. Do we have to sign the documents? What does the law enforce us to do?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lawgirl replied 9 years ago.

What state was the child support order issued out of, Florida or Indiana?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Lawgirl's Post: IN
Expert:  Lawgirl replied 9 years ago.

Considering we are dealing with the state of indiana, could you please give me the ages of the children invovled?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
17 years old (girl).
March 7, the son will turn 12 years old.
Expert:  Lawgirl replied 9 years ago.


Thank you for your question.

As you are probably aware, child support terminates when your children hit 21 or when they are emancipated.

Ind. Code § 31-16-6-2 provides that a child support order may include sums for the child's education at institutions of higher learning, where appropriate. Since the daughter is under 21, if she is not emancipated, you are merely required to pay child support. If the court order requires college or university, that's another story.

It sounds like the mother is petitioning the court for an order forcing for the payment of college. In that case, if the court may require the father to submit proof of his income. However, for purposes of child support, your income should be irrelevant.

The only way in which you are required to sign the form is if the court requiring as part of the documentation substantiating what each paying parent makes.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Otherwise please hit "ACCEPT", so I may receive credit for my response. Tips and feedback are also appreciated!

Good Luck!