How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask 4ren6 Your Own Question
4ren6, Forensics/CSI
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4794
Experience:  Sworn Expert Witness in Criminal Law. Sworn Expert Courtroom Testimony.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
4ren6 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Widowed Mother is in a Nursing home. She is 91 and I am ...

This answer was rated:

My Widowed Mother is in a Nursing home. She is 91 and I am the only child. Medicade is paying the cost. She owns a small house which is worth about $40,000. The house is detorating, no one lives in the home, I can not buy insurance on the home because it is vacant. My Question: can I sell her homeI have power of attorney and buy Life insurance or Burial insurance for her. She has very little insurance on her name, $1,000.00. Some one told me I can use the sale of the house and buy insurance for the amount of the sale. Say the house sells for $40,000 can we put the whole amount in an insurance policy to pay her last expense when she dies.
Was the home ever transferred to anyones name other then hers.............
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
The house is still in her name. Her husband

died eight years ago. The house was never

transfered to any one else.

Most often if they are approved for medicaid they are approved on their income and assets...........if one spouse is deceased then the house may count. If the house is sold then this would change her assets and possible medicaid coverage. If you have POA then yes, you can sell it. But I would suggest that you contact Elderlaw or ask the local Medicaid office how selling the home would effect her specific situation and whether they could claim these assets now or later. Reply if needed.
4ren6 and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you