Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

In Jan. 06 i was hit from behind while waiting at a

Customer Question
In Jan. 06'' i was...
In Jan. 06'' i was hit from behind while waiting at a red light. It was a hard hit and i was seen. Medical bills were covered except one that must have been missed. Now a debt collector has been calling me at work and harrassing me. I gave them all contact info for the other persons insurance but they did not respond. I also could not get them to respond. I finally said go ahead with collection so they would stop calling my job. This bill is not my responsiblility. Can they do a collection process on me for this $300 bill?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Legal
3/1/2008
Lawyer: Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD) replied 9 years ago
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)

DearCustomer- Yes they can try to collect if this was a valid medical bill. What I would suggest is to file a supplemental claim with the insurance company that paid the original bills and simply state that this bill had inadvertently been omitted. You may be beyond the 2 year statute of limitations for an original claim but you can probably claim that this is a continuing claim and that it should be paid.

In the meantime, the collection people with most likely continue to pursue the claim however , unless they actually file suit they cannot attach your assets or garnish your wages.

David Kennett - JD - Attorney at Law

Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)