How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 20012
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Attorney & Mediator is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My question is regarding Maryland

Resolved Question:

My question is regarding Maryland Defamation/slander law. I''m a correctional officer, and a former friend of mine has become an inmate at my jail. He has been telling inmates and my fellow officers that I used, and currently use drugs. Do I have a case against him for slander?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 9 years ago.
A defamation cause of action is actionable if you can demonstrate the elements for the offense. The are as follows:

  1. A false and defamatory statement concerning another;
  2. The unprivileged publication of the statement to a third party (that is, somebody other than the person defamed by the statement);
  3. Damage to the plaintiff.

Now the key element to sustain such a cause of action is demonstrating actual damage. Damage would be to your reputation or job status. So, if as a result of these statements your job and reputation have been attacked by your employers and friends, then you would have a cause of action. If your employer and fellow officers do not believe any word that an inmate says and your job status has not been jeopardized, or you have not been singled out to take a drug test, then you would have not met the third element to sue for defamation of character.

Without further review of your situation it is very difficult to tell, whether your have been harmed or not. I suggest you invest some time in a free consultation with a personal injury attorney in your local community to see if you have a case here. If you your reputation is being affected by these comments, then I believe you can sustain a cause of action, but I suggest you contact a local attorney for further review of your case.

Don't forget to click Accept for my time and research, thank you.

Please accept my answer for the work I have provided you and to close this window. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you