Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

What to write on a check when making a final payment

Customer Question
on a bill....
What to write on a check when making a final payment on a bill.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Legal
2/9/2008
Lawyer: Walter, Legal Consultant replied 9 years ago
Walter
Walter, Legal Consultant

In the notes section you will want to write final payment. Keep in mind while this is fine, it will not stand up in court as the final payment if the company is disputing the final payment or claiming not all payments have been made. (Make sure you keep a copy of all payments made as well as the original agreement).

Walter

Are you kidding me with this answer? What is the legal language to put on the back of a check so the person cashing the check accepts it a full and final payment?

I am sorry, you are not happy with my answer. Nothing you write on the check will make a difference either way. If it is the final payment a "Final Payment" in the memos section is all that is needed. If it is the final payment then there will be no issues. If it is not the final payment this will not free you from what is owed. The law states that writing Final Payment on a check would be misleading information fraudulently if the check is not for final payment.

Regardless of what you write on the check, if the amount is paid in full it is done. Your proof of payment would be more efficient then what you write on the check.

Please feel free to not accept my answer since you are dissatisfied.

I wish you the best,

Walter

Walter
Walter
Walter, Legal Consultant