J D Haas
J D Haas, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  21 years as a serious injury/wrongful death trial lawyer; nationally board certified; 43 jury trials
6118667

Ten years ago I graduated from a distance education ...

Ten years ago I graduated from a distance education "Paralegal" program. The courses were extermely educational however, the program does not meet the California requirements for Paralegals as of 2003. I am presently obtaing the additional education required to meet the california requirements. In addition, I have had extensive experience with legal research and writing. I have the opportunity, right now, to work for a law firm on a case by case contract basis. My only duties are legal research, analysis and writing briefs. Question (s): Do I have to hold myself as a "Paralegal", governed by the CA. B&P 6450 in order to perfrom the tasks of Research, analyst and writing for attorney's on a contract basis? In other words, can I legally work in this capacity before I complete my educational requirements for Ca B&P 6450?
It is legal for you to work as a legal researcher for a California law firm. You must not claim to be a paralegal as you do not have the required certificate.

I hope that I have helped you, answered all of your questions,
and that I have provided you with useful information.
Please ask more questions if I have not answered all of your
questions.

Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice,
it is merely information. The only way that I am legally
responsible for your legal rights is if you have signed
a written retainer agreement with my law firm.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to J D Haas's Post: Thank you for your response. Based on your opinion, since I am working on a contract basis, could I advertise myself as a Legal researcher to other lawyers as well, ie, cards etc.? You do not feel Legal research, analysis and writing "imply" I am representing myself as a Paralegal? I am sure you can understand; I am simply trying to cover myself however, I do need to work while I go to school. I am more than happy to accept your answer to these final questions. Thank you very much.
Yes that would be legal. You are a legal researcher, you are not a paralegal. You are not holding yourself out to be a paralegal.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.

Dear JD Haas,

I i tend to accept your answer. It was very helpful. However, the credit card number registered on my J.A. account is incorrect. I have emailed Customer service to change card numbers. I haven't heard back yet. If you have any suggestions on how to expidite this let me know, otherwise, I will accept as soon as I can make this change. Thanks,Customer/p>

I have sent the information to the management. Hopefully they will be in touch with you soon. Thank you.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.

JD Haas,

I apologise for the time delay. Your answers have been very helpful. Just so I understand, advertising as a "Legal research analyst" is legal without meeting Ca B&P 6450 requirents. I will also be writing briefs from results of my research. Is this also legal under the same title of "Legal Research Analyst?"

Again, Thank you for your time

Customer/p>
Yes, based upon my understanding of Cal. law. You are not holding yourself out as a paralegal. Law firms can hire people that they want in order to have them accomplish legal research. The problem would arise if a person claimed to be a paralegal without licensure.