How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask J D Haas Your Own Question
J D Haas
J D Haas, Lawyer (JD)
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 2998
Experience:  21 years as a serious injury/wrongful death trial lawyer; nationally board certified; 43 jury trials
Type Your Legal Question Here...
J D Haas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ten years ago I graduated from a distance education ...

This answer was rated:

Ten years ago I graduated from a distance education "Paralegal" program. The courses were extermely educational however, the program does not meet the California requirements for Paralegals as of 2003. I am presently obtaing the additional education required to meet the california requirements. In addition, I have had extensive experience with legal research and writing. I have the opportunity, right now, to work for a law firm on a case by case contract basis. My only duties are legal research, analysis and writing briefs. Question (s): Do I have to hold myself as a "Paralegal", governed by the CA. B&P 6450 in order to perfrom the tasks of Research, analyst and writing for attorney's on a contract basis? In other words, can I legally work in this capacity before I complete my educational requirements for Ca B&P 6450?
It is legal for you to work as a legal researcher for a California law firm. You must not claim to be a paralegal as you do not have the required certificate.

I hope that I have helped you, answered all of your questions,
and that I have provided you with useful information.
Please ask more questions if I have not answered all of your

Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice,
it is merely information. The only way that I am legally
responsible for your legal rights is if you have signed
a written retainer agreement with my law firm.
J D Haas and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to J D Haas's Post: Thank you for your response. Based on your opinion, since I am working on a contract basis, could I advertise myself as a Legal researcher to other lawyers as well, ie, cards etc.? You do not feel Legal research, analysis and writing "imply" I am representing myself as a Paralegal? I am sure you can understand; I am simply trying to cover myself however, I do need to work while I go to school. I am more than happy to accept your answer to these final questions. Thank you very much.
Yes that would be legal. You are a legal researcher, you are not a paralegal. You are not holding yourself out to be a paralegal.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.

Dear JD Haas,

I i tend to accept your answer. It was very helpful. However, the credit card number registered on my J.A. account is incorrect. I have emailed Customer service to change card numbers. I haven't heard back yet. If you have any suggestions on how to expidite this let me know, otherwise, I will accept as soon as I can make this change. Thanks,Customer/p>

I have sent the information to the management. Hopefully they will be in touch with you soon. Thank you.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.

JD Haas,

I apologise for the time delay. Your answers have been very helpful. Just so I understand, advertising as a "Legal research analyst" is legal without meeting Ca B&P 6450 requirents. I will also be writing briefs from results of my research. Is this also legal under the same title of "Legal Research Analyst?"

Again, Thank you for your time

Yes, based upon my understanding of Cal. law. You are not holding yourself out as a paralegal. Law firms can hire people that they want in order to have them accomplish legal research. The problem would arise if a person claimed to be a paralegal without licensure.