How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Walter Your Own Question
Walter, Legal Consultant
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 11528
Experience:  Specializing in all aspects of law including Family, Real Estate, Employment and Consumer Protection
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Walter is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in CO and have an aparmtent lease. My mother is ill ...

This answer was rated:

I live in CO and have an aparmtent lease. My mother is ill in CA and her doctor has sent me a letter saying that I need to move there to be with her. Am I still bound to my lease?


I am sorry, I do no have good news. You are still required to finish your lease. The good news is often landlords will allow you out of the lease if you explain the situation. Often in these cases the landlord will ask that you pay one month rent, so they can get the rental cleaned, and ready fora new tenet. (Which sure beats going to court for the full lease).

If your landlord is being pushy and refuses to allow you out of the lease your only option is to either continue the lease or break it and wait for the courts to decide what you owe for the broken lease if the landlord takes you to court. Generally in CO the courts will order 1-3 months in rents based on how long it takes to get the rental released out. If the landlord can get it leased within 30 days you would only be held liable for the 30 days and possibly the advertising costs to get it released out.

I wish you the best,


Walter and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you