Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

In Chicago Illinois, my kitchen sink backed up and water ...

Customer Question
In Chicago Illinois, my kitchen...
In Chicago Illinois, my kitchen sink backed up and water leaked onto my floor and to the condo beneath me. Am I responsible for paying for repairs that happened in the condo below me (drywall damage)? After these repairs are made (if I am responsible) am I responsible for re-painting, staining only effected area or the whole room?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Legal
2/1/2008
Lawyer: Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD) replied 9 years ago
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)

DearCustomer- Generally you would be responsible for damage to another unit as a result of a problem from your unit. I cannot possible tell you exactly the extent of the damage for which you may be liable but all of this should be covered by your liability insurance. I would certainly turn this in to your insurance and let them deal with what is to be paid etc.

They extent of damages would most likely be only the affected area unless it was impossible to repair without repainting the entire room. If this had been as a result of an act of God such as a flood then each unit would have its own responsibility but this damage was caused by a problem related to your unit.

David Kennett - JD - Attorney at Law

Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)