How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LEV Your Own Question
LEV, Retired
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 29800
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LEV is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband had a business that he bankrupts. He ...

Customer Question

My husband had a business that he bankrupts. He hasn't paid any taxes. He is now starting another company. I had nothing to do with the first business and want no part of the second business. What am I liable for in the way of taxes.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LEV replied 9 years ago.

Generally as you signed a joint return you are responsible for all information on that return.

If you want to distance yourself from your husband' tax obligations - you should either file a separate tax return or claim an innocent spouse relief.

Filing with married filing separate status - may eliminate some credits and deductions.

An innocent spouse can get relief when the other spouse makes false reports on a joint return. -