Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

If a restraining order is placed against you, what are some ...

Customer Question
If a restraining order is...
If a restraining order is placed against you, what are some of the harmful effects or consequences you face?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/1/2008
Lawyer: Anne, Lawyer replied 9 years ago
Anne
Anne, Lawyer

Dear Anaheim, California:

If the restraining order is a Domestic Violence Restraining Order, the order will mean:

• You cannot contact or go near the person who has restrained you, their children, other relatives, or others who live with the person.
  • You may not have a gun.
  • You may have to move out of the house, if you lived with the person who got the restraining order.
  • You may be limited in child custody and visitation orders
  • You may have to pay child support, if your children are involved
  • You may have to pay spousal or partner support
  • Domestic Violence Restraining Orders are issued when the parties are family members, were married, or dating.

Civil Restraining Orders are less common, but are issued in stalking cases. You are required to stay away from the person who gets the restraining order, and you cannot have a gun.

With both types of restraining orders, you are restrained from going within a certain number of yards; going to their place of work; telephoning; texting; e-mailing; and otherwise contacting the person who has the restraining order.

Restraining Orders are entered into a state-wide law enforcement database so that they can be enforced.

Anne
    Anne, Lawyer
    Anne
    Anne
    Anne, Lawyer