How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience in general law, including real estate, criminal, traffic, and domestic relations
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can i voluntarily terminate my parental rights

Customer Reply

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
how can i voluntarily terminate my parental rights
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 9 years ago.

DearCustomer- It is rather easy to terminate your rights as a parent by simply not exercising them. In other words, if you have visitation rights and don't exercise them then you have terminated those rights. You cannot be forced to visit or to participate in the life of your child.

It is not so easy to terminate your responsibilities however. In order to terminate or change child support in any way you would have to have approval from the court that issued the order. Most courts will not permit someone to simply terminate support payments unless the child is being adopted by another parent.

David Kennett - JD - Attorney at Law

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
even if the other parent has had me sign stating not to see or pay for them
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 9 years ago.

Even if anything until the court approves the termination. Once again, support is an obligation, not a right and the court makes those decisions based on the best interest of the child, not the parent.

Dave Kennett

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
ok last question what forms or route do i take to file them with the court and thank you so least i know what to face now
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 9 years ago.

You would need to file a Motion to Terminate Support. There are no forms you just have to create a motion with a heading that looks like any other heading of any other order or filing on your case. It should show the name of the court, case # ***** parties to the action. You should attach any signed statements by the other party giving up the right to the support. The court will set the matter for a hearing. There may be some forms for financial information to fill out and these would be available at the clerk of courts office.

Every court is different as to whether they provide or require any forms.

Dave Kennett