How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guru_Guy Your Own Question
Guru_Guy, Lawyer (JD)
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 2418
Experience:  My specialties include Civil Rights and Constitutional law, as well as general practice issues.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Guru_Guy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What exactly does no adequate remedy at law ...

This answer was rated:

What exactly does ''no adequate remedy at law'' mean when used in the explanation of a summons?

The phrase "no adequate remedy at law" means that the plaintiff will be seeking equitable relief. Historically, under common law, courts were divided between courts of law and courts of equity. Courts of law could provide money damages for legal harms. Courts of equity could force parties to do certain things, or stop doing certain things to correct a problem.

Today, most states have done away with this division and a court can provide either money damages or equitable relief. However, this phrasing is often still used.

Put in plain language, this means that the plaintiff believes that money damages will not fix the problem and wants the court to do something.

This would be expected in a partition suit since the plaintiff is requesting equitable relief of altering ownership of real property, either ordering sale of property or requiring one party to buy out the other.

I hope this helps!


Please keep in mind that information in this forum is for informational purposes only. It is not legal advice and does not constitute creation of an attorney client relationship. Before acting on any such information, you are always advised to consult with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction who can take the time to review all the facts and laws relevant to your situation.
Guru_Guy and 12 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you