How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bill F. Your Own Question
Bill F.
Bill F., Paralegal
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 2243
Experience:  State Paralegal - 10 Years Hands on Legal Experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Bill F. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in subsidized housing in Vermont. The ...

Resolved Question:

I live in subsidized housing in Vermont. The apartments have been refinanced and are going to be renovated. I was told the company would pay to have me moved to a temporary address where I would live for six weeks and then they would move me back. The problem is that I have an anxiety disorder and PTSD which prevents me from moving temporarily. I just went back to work after ten years and am trying to get back on track. I have a doctor who has also advised I do not move temporarily and move back. I have had to find an apartment which is not subsidized in the same town. Is there anyway I can get the company who owns the apartment in which I currently live to help me pay for this move?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Bill F. replied 9 years ago.

Under VT law they are only required to move you out and back in and pay the costs for that. They are not obligated to pay for the new unsubsidized apartment. The only way you can try to get them to pay for it (and it is probably a long shot unless your attorney can find case law to prove it) is if you file a civil suit. Even with a civil suit you would have to be able to prove that the move back and forth was a a direct cause of a debilitating set back to your illness (which means you would have to have done the move anyway back and forth).

Sorry. I wish there was a law that would cover you here but they are following the guidelines.

Good luck. If you have any other related questions please let me know. If you found this answer helpful please accept so I can continue to help others like you in the future. Thank you.

Bill F. and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you